The loss of a loved one is a very emotional and distressing time. At the same time as trying to deal with the grief of losing someone the next of kin are also faced with having to register the death, arrange the funeral, and trying to ascertain whether their loved one made a Will and, if so, its whereabouts.
We provide an initial free half hour consultation to help you understand the legal steps you may have to deal with during probate.
If you have been appointed as Executor under a Will, or if you are someone’s next of kin and there is no Will, we can also help you with all aspects of dealing with the deceased’s estate including:
- Advising you on registering their death;
- Advising on, or if you prefer, dealing on your behalf with the administration of the assets and liabilities in their estates;
- Applying for a Grant of Representation (Grant of Probate or Grant of Letters of Administration). This may not be required if the estate is modest or if all assets are in joint names;
- Calculating and advising on Inheritance Tax;
- Dealing with HM Revenue & Customs Inheritance Tax forms;
- Explaining you duties and obligations.
Special rules relating to land and Buildings
Land or Buildings owned jointly with another may be held as “Joint Tenants” or as “ Tenants in Common”. The distinction is important because it determines whether the property will pass under the terms of the Will or under the Intestacy Rules if there is no Will. Property held as Joint Tenants passes to the surviving joint owner automatically and will therefore be outside of the scope of the Will or Intestacy Rules. Your share of assets held as Tenants in Common are distributed in accordance with your Will or the Intestacy Rules if there is no Will.
Contact Jonathan Jacobs, Tsyrina Tan or Karin Cox-Putker for further information, or to arrange a meeting. A free initial interview of up to half an hour may be available to you to meet us and find out whether we are able to assist you. In all cases we will give you an indication of the level of costs likely to be involved and details of relevant charging rates.