Industrial Deafness & Hearing Loss Claims

polite, friendly and approachable

If you have developed hearing loss after working in a noisy working environment and you think your employer or employers  (if more than one) did not protect you from that risk then you may be eligible to make an industrial deafness claim.

What is Industrial Deafness?

Industrial Deafness  which is also referred to as Noise Induced Hearing Loss refers to a deterioration of a person’s hearing over a prolonged period of time due to working in a noisy environment often with little or no hearing protection.

Types of Deafness eligible for compensation

A person does not need to lose his or her hearing completely to be able to make a deafness claim. There are various types of deafness that are eligible for compensation, for example:

  • Mild hearing loss   -  this is the most common form of industrial deafness and can include difficulty hearing the TV, not being able to hear others when there is background noise and difficulty following speech.

  • Moderate hearing loss - in these cases people usually need a hearing aid in order to hear properly
  • Severe hearing loss – in such cases the sufferers not only use a hearing aid but may also have to rely on lip-reading or sign language.
  • Tinnitus – in all of the above cases there may also be a ringing or buzzing sensation that is often worse in times of quiet and can cause difficulty in sleeping, over-sensitive hearing and in some cases depression.
  • Acoustic Shock – this occurs when a short, high pitch/intensity sound is heard resulting in a  person suffering permanent damage to their hearing or tinnitus and mainly affects call centre workers.

If you are suffering from any of the above as a result of working in a noisy environment please contact us for a free no obligation telephone consultation.

Making Personal Injury Compensation Claim for Industrial Deafness

Your claim would be made against your Employer and/or their Insurer.  Since 1972 all Employers have been legally required to have Employer’s Liability Insurance in place to cover claims for accident or injury sustained by their employees whilst at work. Even prior to that time many employers volunteered  to have such insurance in place. Specialist searches can be made to research and trace the identity of the employer’s liability insurer for the period in which you were affected.  Provided we can trace the insurer for your company we can then proceed with making a claim whether or not that company is still trading.

What can I claim for?

We will obtain expert medical input from an audiologist and a consultant ENT surgeon on what treatment can be provided to best treat your deafness and/or tinnitus and to assess your future needs. On the basis of their advice which may include recommending the use of  hearing aids or tinnitus retraining therapy we will advise on how best to settle your compensation.

Personal injury claims FAQs

Not sure whether you qualify for compensation for industrial deafness or hearing loss? We have answered this, and some of the most frequently asked questions on our personal injury claims page, in our FAQ section.

Time limits to make your compensation claim

You have three years from the date that you knew your hearing problems were linked to work within which to make a claim. This is because the effect of your noise exposure may not appear as a problem for some time. It is important not to delay in taking action and if you are unsure please call us for free expert advice.

Call us now for a completely free, no obligation discussion about your potential claim.