Civil Partnership & Same Sex Marriage Law Checklist


I will be recommending them to others

We are able to assist a party who wishes to obtain an order dissolving their civil partnership. A dissolution order can be obtained on the ground that the relationship has irretrievably broken down on one of the following grounds:

  • that the other party has behaved unreasonably
  • you and your partner have lived apart for two years, and you both agree to the dissolution
  • you and your partner have lived apart for at least five years, if only one of you agrees to the dissolution
  • your partner deserted you at least two years before.

Civil Partnership Rights

Parties to civil partnerships have equivalent rights following the breakdown of their relationship to parties to marriage, with the result that advice may well be required in respect of sorting out financial and children matters.

Mediation may also be worthwhile if there is a willingness on the part of both parties to resolve matters amicably.

If it is less than one year since you registered your civil partnership, it will not be possible to apply for a dissolution order. You may still wish to formalise financial and other arrangements however. This can be achieved by applying for a Separation Order or by signing a Separation Agreement which we are able to prepare.

Pre-registration Agreements

Parties to civil partnerships are increasingly keen to try and protect assets which they have acquired prior to the registration of a civil partnership by means of a pre-registration agreement.  We are able to assist in drawing up such agreements. Similar considerations apply to these as to Pre-Nuptial Agreements for which please follow this link.

For advice on all these family issues please contact  Deborah Prance (Solicitor and Resolution trained Mediator) 01252 316316 for further information or to arrange a meeting.