Enjoyed their professionalism and promptness for years
Employers are required to follow the Acas Code of Practice (Acas Code) in disciplinary situations. Most employers will have to consider disciplinary action, whether a verbal warning or a dismissal.
Why is it important to follow the Acas Code?
- It can assist employment relations being maintained
- It lowers the risk of an employment tribunal claim
- It can avoid a finding of unfair dismissal
- It can affect the level of compensation
How should misconduct or poor performance be handled?
- Investigate the issues
- Inform the employee of the issues in writing
- Hold a disciplinary meeting or hearing
- Inform the employee of the decision in writing
- Notify the employee of their right of appeal
- The employee has a right to be accompanied throughout
We can help you handle a disciplinary hearing at work effectively and spot potential legal claims, including when grievances are raised during a disciplinary procedure.
We also recommend having a full and detailed grievance procedure to guide and protect the business.
We also have easy to follow guidance on this and a range of topics here.