Claims for recovery of a debt can be straightforward if the debtor admits the debt and no court proceedings are needed. If the debt is defended and court proceedings are issued, the process will be longer, more complicated and more expensive. Each case is different and it is very difficult to tell at the outset whether your case will be straightforward or complicated.
We cannot predict how long a claim will take, or the total cost, because there are so many factors that affect both. These factors include:
- Whether the case is defended and if it is:
- The attitude of your opponent,
- The number of documents that are relevant,
- How many witnesses are involved,
- Whether the case can be settled and
- How long it takes the court to list the case for a hearing.
The information on costs and timing is provided for guidance only. It is not a quotation. We shall be pleased to provide information relating to a particular matter on request. Every client will receive a letter of engagement and terms of business setting out our terms and costs based on their needs and the specific facts of the matter.
Every debt recovery claim has key milestones, which may vary according to individual circumstances. Our fee will include these milestones and may be as follows:
- Taking your instructions and reviewing documentation
- Undertaking appropriate searches
- Issuing a letter before action requesting payment from the debtor
- Receiving payment and sending this on to you
- Drafting and issuing a claim form to the relevant court if the debt is not paid
- Applying to the court to enter a Judgment in Default if the debtor fails to respond to court proceedings
- Contacting the other side to request payment where a Judgment in Default has been issued by the court
Wheelers Solicitors is part of the Morrisons Group, further details about pricing can be found on their website.