Morrisons Solicitors LLP, Harrops & Hepburn and Wheelers Solicitors (hereinafter together referred to as the “Businesses” are committed to providing an outstanding service to all our clients. If you feel something has gone wrong we would like you to tell us about it. This will help us to improve our standards.
If you have a complaint about the work we have done for you or a bill, please contact our Compliance Partner at the Businesses Head Office at Prospero, 73 London Road, Redhill, Surrey RH1 1LQ. It is often helpful to discuss your complaint initially with the Compliance Partner to see if it can be resolved informally. The Compliance Partner may ring you, or you can call his direct line 01737 854517. There will be no charge for dealing with your complaint.
If your complaint is about a service provided by a barrister we have used in your matter, then we will ask for your consent to forward your contact details to the barrister so the barrister can respond to you direct.
What will happen next?
- If it has not been possible to resolve your complaint informally, the Compliance Partner will acknowledge receipt of your complaint within 3 working days of receipt of your complaint (or speaking with you) giving details of the Department Head who will be dealing with your complaint.
- We will record your complaint in our central register and if appropriate open a file for your complaint.
- The Compliance Partner will send a copy of your complaint to the relevant Department Head for review.
- We will then start to investigate your complaint. This may involve one or more of the following steps.
- We may ask the member of staff who acted for you for further details of the matter.
- We may ask you for further details of the matter.
- We may invite you to a meeting to discuss the matter further.
- Any meeting date will be within 7 working days of sending you the acknowledgement letter. If the date offered is not suitable please contact us to rearrange. Within 7 working days of the meeting we will write to you to confirm what took place and any solutions that have been agreed at the meeting or decided upon following the meeting.
- If we do not believe that a meeting would be beneficial, or you do not wish to attend a meeting, the Department Head will send you a detailed written reply to your complaint, including his/her suggestions for resolving the matter (if appropriate), within 15 working days of sending you the acknowledgement letter.
- If, having heard from the Department Head you are still not satisfied, you should write to the Compliance Partner detailing the reasons for your dissatisfaction. The matter will then be referred to the Managing Partner, who will review the decision and respond to you in writing within 15 working days of receipt of your letter. (We ask that you let us have these reasons within 7 working days from the date of the Department Head’s letter. This helps us keep within the timescales set by the Legal Ombudsman for us to try to resolve the matter. Please contact the Compliance Partner if you are unable to write within this period so that we can agree a revised date. Please note that if we do not hear from you within this time, we will treat your complaint as having been resolved.)
- If we have to change any of the timescales, we will let you know and explain why.
- If you are still not satisfied, you can then contact the Legal Ombudsman at Legal Ombudsman PO Box 6806, Wolverhampton, WV1 9WJ about your complaint. Any complaint to the Legal Ombudsman must usually be made within six months of the date of our final decision on your complaint. Please note also that in most cases you must refer the matter to the Legal Ombudsman within 6 years of the act or omission about which you are complaining occurring (or within 3 years of when you should reasonably have known there was cause for complaint) and the matter being complained about must have occurred after 5 October 2010 For further information, you should contact the Legal Ombudsman on 0300 555 0333 or at email@example.com. The Legal Ombudsman’s website is at www.legalombudsman.org.uk
- NOTARIES: If your complaint is about a service provided by one of our notaries and we have not been able to resolve the matter for you, you can also complain to the Secretary of the Notaries Society, Christopher Vaughan, at Old Church Chambers, 23 Sandhill Road, St James, Northampton NN5 5LH. Tel: 01604 758908 Email:firstname.lastname@example.org
If you require any further information or assistance please contact the Compliance Partner on 01737 854517 or, if he is not available call our main reception number on 01737 854500 and ask to speak to the Head of HR.